Saturday, November 16, 2013

Collaboration Canvas



     Some might not consider there to be a connection between Art and History, but when I stumbled upon the lesson on Ancient Egyptian Art, I immediately remembered my 6th grade Social Studies course, where we spent an entire unit on Ancient Egypt.  To put it simply, all we have to understand ancient cultures is what was left behind by them, and for Egypt, much of that is artwork and artifacts.  I expanded upon the video and photos present in the original plan by adding some that I feel can benefit the students.  The essential question and content standards were changed, to fit the requirements for this assignment.

     This is an assignment that can benefit Art students, as they learn the history of the artwork they are studying.  And the original lesson plan that I remixed can be a benefit to History students as well, so this could be a very good collaborative lesson.

http://www.play.annenberginnovationlab.org/play2.0/challenge.php?idChallenge=2638&mode=edit#network6

2 comments:

  1. Ian,
    You are so right about the correlation between art and history, since art is a reflection of the things that happen in history. Often times art teachers seem to focus on the medium of the art and what was going on in art at the time. This unit would have been even more interesting if we could have combined it with music and the music of Egypt. It would be great to show students that life happens full circle and the things that are relevant in history are also relevant in other aspects of life and education. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As future social studies teachers, I love when we can draw connections to other subjects. A lot of people don't realize how cross-disiplinary social studies is. I think this is great because even if you have students who are not really into history, you can still engage them other ways. I remember in my AP Euro class, my teacher would teach a unit, and then the last day of the unit was always art. It was easy to incorporate art into a European history class because art was so rich during this time period. I feel as though it would more difficult for a class on early American history, but we could always incorporate political cartoons and engravings of the sort. Nice work, -Erin

    ReplyDelete