Sunday, October 20, 2013

Technology & Pedagogy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgDqJcGS3TLgdEx0X0xCVFdIakNoVW1fSzF3MS01TlE&usp=sharing#gid=0



     I chose this lesson plan to analyze because the Cold War is a topic that I have learned quite a bit on in recent years, and is likely to be something that I will have to teach in my classroom at some point in the future.  When I saw a lesson plan that would attempt to connect this with another major event in History, Brown v. Board of Education, my curiosity was peaked. After reading through the lesson plan, and comparing it to the standards set forth by the New Jersey Department of Education, I am not totally sure that the goal of the plan was achieved.  

     While it is certainly possible that the lesson is better when put to action, and that materials like the Soviet Union posters need to be seen in order for the lesson and the connection to fully make sense, I don’t think the goal of the lesson was achieved.  Technology may have benefited the lesson, through the possible use of videos and any other items (such as primary sources and documents of the time) that may have created a better connection between these two major events in our recent history.  This is a lesson that can be a very strong one, and it could potentially be used to connect other major events as well.

    From the technology that was used for the lesson, to the lesson itself, this feels like a sort of missed opportunity.  Despite some strong pieces, like the document analysis and the very idea of connecting events that on the surface may not appear to have anything to do with each other, it could have been stronger.  



 

3 comments:

  1. I was never somebody that enjoyed history, maybe because it was my lack of imagination, but I agree that using videos is something that really helped me learn a lot about history. The way certain vidoes can portray information and have you see everything right in front of you was a great way for me to learn history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian,
    Like you, i clicked on your spreadsheet because the mixture of topics intrigued me. As a student who has studied the Cold War extensively in multiple classes and in my spare time and who has been immersed in history for most of my life, I can personally see the link between the Cold War and Brown v BOE. I really wanted this lesson plan to work, but I feel like it wouldn't. There is not enough technology used, which I think is essential to using primary sources, especially in middle/high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your feeling of disconnect from the lesson, I too believe the goal wasn't achieved. For me, just because you use technology in the classroom, doesn't make the goal any easier, or more attainable. I do believe the videos were great for the classroom, however some teachers rely too heavily on the technology and aren't able to express or teach what THEY known about the material. Chances are, a good teacher will have a creative and exciting way to learn about said material, rather than piggybacking off the aid of someone else on the internet.

    ReplyDelete