Sunday, September 22, 2013

Technology Autobiography

I. Television

          While the two items I will discuss below have become more prevalent in my daily life in recent years, television was the first, and without a doubt most influential, communication technology I have encountered in my life.  I can still distinctly remember watching programs on networks like PBS and Disney Channel, and then eventually watching children’s programming blocks like Kid’s WB.  My parents were very selective with what I was allowed to watch growing up, as they wanted to make sure that what I watched was something educational or something that could promote thinking on the part of the viewer (a good example would be Sesame Street), and this is a practice that I still continue to this day, as I am notoriously picky with what I watch (my personal favorite show is still Lost).  The shows I watched growing up helped me to learn the alphabet, gain a wider vocabulary, and what I have watched in recent years help to promote more intellectual thinking or expand my knowledge of the world around me.  It is entirely possible that my mindset would be different than what it is if I didn’t watch what I did growing up.  It is essential that parents monitor the programs their children watch, as it can either promote learning or do nothing to stimulate one’s mind, as there is a wide array of inappropriate programming out there today.  As helpful as television can be in the right context, it can potentially be harmful as well for this reason. 
          The only television-related item discussed in the video is video games.  While I have never really considered myself a “gamer,” there can be a benefit to it, as those who play a game online can learn how to work with others to achieve a common goal, promoting communication and strategic thinking, which is vital in real life.  This group work and the concept of a community is something that could and should be extended to classrooms.



II. Computers

          I don’t remember having much experience with computers until I was in 6th grade, and my middle school assigned us our very first research paper (I have written plenty of these ever since as a History Major).  While I did some research using books and reference materials found in the library, most of my resources were found via the Internet.  It was here that I saw how useful a tool a computer is, and I continue to feel that way to this day.  I find myself on it every day to either do work for school or read various newspapers and websites online.  The various aspects of a computer, from the ability to access the Internet to the different programs one can work with on it, make it a wonderful learning tool. 
           The video discusses computers at great length, and I agreed with many of the points that were brought up.  While I have never attempted to create a website of my own, I agreed with the analogy that compared experimenting with technology to a scientist working with test tubes (my scientist mother would appreciate that one).  It is a wonderful tool, but a problem that can arise, which I will again discuss later, is that communicating through technology can sometimes lead to poor communication skills in the classroom and in life if a proper balance does not exist.  That is up to the student and their parents to find this balance.

III. Phones

          I did not get my first cell phone until my 15th birthday, but once I did saw how incredibly convenient it was to have one.  I always enjoyed the fact that my friends were a phone call away, but now they were a text message away.  If I was stuck on the side of the road, or found myself completely lost on a hike, help is a phone call away.  Now with the relatively recent introduction of smart phones, we can do everything from check our e-mails to update our Twitter feed with a phone. 
           One student in the video described the phone was their “third arm,” which is the downside to this device.  We can become too reliant on it, or spend too much time on it.  I have found myself at times spending too much of my day texting, which is a poor habit.


           While technology has its downsides, there is much more of a benefit to it. It is convenient and can help us learn new things. 





1 comment:

  1. Dear Ian,

    I also chose the cell phone as one of the most influential technological items for our generation to grow up with. You are absolutely right about how easy it is to reach out to friends, family, and even work. I remember when I received my first cell phone as well. I was much younger than you were when I received my phone. I was 12 years old when I received my first flip phone (gosh remember those!) The only reason my parents gave me a cell phone was to call them on my walk home from school. My parents soon realized that this was a great way to help develop my independence. My cell phone provided my parents a sense of comfort because they could always reach me whenever they wanted. This provided me with a new sense of freedom. Now, I was allowed to go to the movies or to the park without my parents. Now that I had my cell phone it was easier to talk to my friends and family members. I could call someone to talk about my day or make plans to hang out. The cell phone has provided me with easy access to friends and family. I have enjoyed every moment of owning a cell phone and I plan to never let it go.

    ReplyDelete